Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

Dresden, Germany..It Was Pleasure Meeting You

Day Trip to Dresden, Germany
I absolutely enjoyed our day trip to Dresden, Germany.


As soon as we arrived, I instantly fell in love with the place and the people.





Dresden, because of its tragic history of having been burnt down to ashes, is very modernized. The people have friendly, smiling faces and there is a lot of liveliness everywhere.                                                                                                           
                                                




Armory Castle
We had two options of what we could see: either an art museum in a castle, or a sort of armory more chivalry display in another castle. I picked the armory castle.


It was really neat to see close up what royalty wore back in their days. What’s more, it was impressive to see the attire the horses wore as well. It just reminded me that even back in ancient days when horses were the only means of transportation, everyone still had to ride in class and make sure their horses looked good. Just like today, everyone always wants the latest cars and they always keep them looking nice.

While I’m pretty sure we weren't allowed to take any pictures in the castle, I was able to sneak one in because the place was just so beautiful I couldn't resist but capture one image there.


Church Dome
We also got to go to the Dome of the Church which had a magnificent view of Dresden.








Not only that, but what we were able to see of the church while climbing up the stairs was absolutely beautiful!




Salsa Dancing in Dresden…Say Whaaaa!?
One of the neatest things I saw in Dresden was a group of people dancing to Salsa! It was amazing to hear Marc Anthony’s voice playing loudly on the streets of Dresden, Germany. Everyone was so in sync it was impressive. I was just happy to see that even in Germany salsa dancing is kind of a big deal. 


Renaissance Photography Session
The coolest thing I did while in Dresden was take pictures dressed up in the Renaissance Era. We randomly stumbled upon this photography place that specialized in these types of pictures and decided it would be a great memory to take a picture. It was a good idea!

There was a lady who dressed us up, put gloves on us, and even dressed us with matching jewelry. The photographer put the matching hat on us, fixed our hair and provided us with all the props for the pictures. It was interesting because he didn't speak any English, so we used a lot of sign language when he tried to position us for the picture. In the end, the session was successful, and we ended up with some pretty awesome pictures.





Sprinting to the Train Station
However, the greatest adventure of them all had to be our frantic race in an attempt to catch our train back to Prague. It was about 4:50pm and there we are walking ever so calmly to the train station thinking that our train didn't leave until 5:29pm. We were completely wrong. Our train left at 5pm and we were about 15 minutes away from the train station. It was 4:55pm when Martin (our other Czech professor/adviser) informed us that perhaps it would be a good idea to speed up.

We first started power walking, but we quickly proceeded to sprinting down the streets of Dresden. I’m pretty sure we all looked ridiculous, but I was too rushed to care. I wanted to get back to Prague ASAP.
Only about 6 of us kept sprinting until we arrived to the train station. What happened next was the most tragic thing ever.

Just as we were running up the stairs to our train stop, we saw the train leave right before our eyes! There was nothing we could do anymore, we had missed it. While it was somewhat disappointing, I really just found the whole thing kind of funny and fun. I mean, who sprints through Dresden in attempts to not miss their train!? Only Nebraska. Fortunately, there was another train coming in two hours so we were able to go grab some food while we waited.

Bargaining For Ice Cream

This is when I put my bargaining skills into use for the first time. I went to this ice cream place where it was €.80 for one scoop of ice cream and €1.60 for two. I only had €1.50 left and I asked the lady if she would take it and provide me with two scoops. While she seemed hesitant at first, she accepted my offer with the condition that the second scoop would be slightly smaller. That was totally fine with me. I just wanted some ice cream and one scoop was not going to cut it. Needless to say, I was pretty proud of my negotiation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Dresden so much, Lorena. I did too! I wish we could have had more time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a blast and I just saw this! Haha...thank you Travis!

      Delete