Translate

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Spring Break Last Stop: Oh Barcelona...You Took My Breath Away

Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona
Where do I even start. I absolutely fell in LOVE with this place! Perhaps it was the fact that I knew the language or maybe the people or maybe because I felt at home, but this place was seriously magical. The most beautiful city my eyes have ever seen.


Life at the Airport
We arrived at the Giorona airport on Wednesday, April 16 at around 10:30pm. Since our hostel didn't allow us to check in so late, we spent the night at the airport. I mean, what's a trip to Europe without spending one night at the airport? Everyone should have that experience at least once in their life, right?

Anyways, it was FREEZING there, we had no WiFi, and it was almost impossible to fall asleep. The only warm place was the bathroom, and we were not about to stay in the bathroom the whole night! I finally decided to pull out my beach towel and use it as a blanket to try and get some sleep. As I was finally achieving this, I was suddenly awoken by this creepy chick asking me if I had seen her pullover. I was so mad.

I wasn't able to doze off again after that, until like two hours later. However, that time, I was awoken by the airport security telling us we could no longer lay on the seats. We had to sit up straight now since it was already morning. It was really a terrible night, but we survived.

At around 9am we figured out what bus we had to take in order to get to Barcelona and got the ticket for it. That was the most expensive bus ride ever. 16 euros, and the WiFi didn't even work!

Arrival to Barcelona
Once we made it to Barcelona, we struggled a little to find our hostel, but after an hour or so of wandering around, we finally found it! However, it was too early to check in so we grabbed some lunch at a cute little restaurant nearby and relaxed there until it was time to check in.

That first night we didn't do much of anything. We were exhausted from the traveling so we decided to take it easy. We did though, find an amazing Tapas place (recommendation from our hostel - specifically the guy with gorgeous eyes and beautiful smile working the reception, whom I crushed on the whole time we were there).

100 Montaditos
Anyways, the place was called 100 Motaditos and they had the best tapas and sangria ever! It was also decent priced, and every Wednesday and Sunday there was Euromania, which was everything on the menu for one euro! Talk about good deals in Barcelona. Guess where we ate on Sunday?



Free City Tour
The next day we went on a free city tour. All I have to say is, thank God for these free tours! You learn so much of the history, the culture, and the best places to eat. Also, Barcelona's history is quite amusing if I must say so myself - and I'm not a big fan of history.



One of the things that I thought was quite funny, was that apparently some of the people in their homes get very irritated with these city tours so they dump buckets of water out of their windows to get everyone on the tour wet. One time, some lady was so mean she threw them rotten oranges. No worries, we made it out clean of cold water and rotten oranges.

Thanks to the tour, we also found the quietest square of Barcelona. This square is almost impossible to find because it's so hidden. However, there's a little Cafe


 and fountain

in it, so many celebrities come enjoy a nice little meal here to avoid any crazy fans. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see anyone famous this time around.

Another thing we also learned on the tour was where the best place to grab hot chocolate was, so we tried the place out and it was DELICIOUS. Hot chocolate in Europe is nothing like hot chocolate in America. It's a lot more thick here, sort of like a melted chocolate bar. But Barcelona is known for their extra thick, creamy hot chocolate and churros.



I couldn't help but remember Mexico. Everyone loves their hot chocolate and churros there.

Easter Sunday
Exploring the city never got old! It was like we found something new every time. On Easter Sunday, as we were headed to the beach for some Paella, we ran into what seemed like a little Easter ceremony right outside a church.


Many people had their food baskets with them, and were waiting for the priests to come around and bless their food.


Since I am catholic, anytime I saw anything like this, I got excited.

*** Side note: the Paella was extremely delicious because we got it freshly done. The only place in Barcelona that serves freshly done Paella are the restaurants near the beach. ***


The Magic Fountain
There was also a Magic Fountain which had 30 minute free shows with music every night. That was super neat to see.




I became an expert at bargaining in Barcelona! Most of the things I purchased there, I was able to get for a better price. It was definitely cool and helpful to be able to speak the same language.

La Sagrada Familia
La Sagrada Familia is a must see! Although we didn't get to go inside because tickets had already been sold out, even from the outside this Roman Catholic church designed by Gaudi is just amazing! The detail is so precise, it's hard to believe one person designed this. The church is so big, it takes up an entire block! While it's still under construction, thanks to the detailed templates Gaudi left behind, it's estimated to be completed in 2026.







*** Side note: Gaudi had a huge obsession with this church. While he was still alive, he practically lived in it while working on its construction and its design. He would only come out to attend church. He died by getting ran over by a tram. Somewhat ironic and crazy, if you ask me, but I found it interesting so I thought I'd share. ***

Barcelona Beach
My favorite part of the Barcelona though was for sure the beach! I love the ocean! I love water! It always just makes me feel so alive. I like the feeling of sand on my feet and sun on my skin. I like the sound of the ocean...it's just all so relaxing and soothing. Not to mention, the Barcelona beach is breath taking!




       
Things I loved about Barcelona:
1. The ketchup was free! While this might seem surprising, in all the places I've visited in Europe, the ketchup has not been free. I once got charged 1 euro so a tiny packet of ketchup I so naively thought was free.
2. There is free city WiFi.
3. The coke actually tastes much better than anywhere else.
4. They super-size everything.
5. The history.
6. I'll stop there because the list goes on and on. I seriously fell deeply in love with this place. I would go back in a heartbeat any day.  
        






No comments:

Post a Comment